This week was a little bit hectic; with AP exams on Monday and Thursday and just getting started it was hard to really get into the swing of things. But by the end of Friday I felt well on my way to accomplishing my goals. I learned so much sewing in the first week. From the usefulness of an iron to how to sew a hem to simply get the machine working. Even threading the needles and changing the bobbin I learned by the end of this week. I even learned a little about design. This week I think the majority of the things a learned were technical skills. The great thing about what I learned is that I can use these skills for the rest of my life. I liked how applicable they are and how I felt like I was getting things done. I felt like by the end of each day I had accomplished something and could literally see the results of my work.
The very first thing that my sponsor, Kathy, asked Jill and I to do was to go though our pile of collected clothing and pick something that inspired us or that we were exited about working with. This was hard for me because nothing really jumped out at me and I wouldn’t really consider myself a creative person. But after the first time of picking something random I started to get the hang of it. And things started to stick out to me as interesting. The nice thing is that we have a lot of books and magazines that we can look through for inspiration which has helped a lot.
For some reason when I came into this project I thought I would make things very quickly, that it would take me a day and I would have a garment. I didn’t really realize how much work goes into making something. Simply taking apart the original garment can take hours.
I think that from having the basics down next week I will be able to dive into things a lot more quickly. I feel more confident in working without my sponsors helping hand. Now that I know the basics it can dive into project much easier. I am excited to see what next week will bring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment