Friday, May 22, 2009

Reflection 3

This was a pretty busy week finished up. A lot of what I did had more of a business aspect this week. I learned really how much work it takes to do pretty much anything business related. Even small things like a logo can take hours if you don’t hire someone else to do it; I learned that one the hard way. For the fashion show specifically I learned how much work goes into putting on an event like that. I didn’t do that work but I was helping Ashley with most of it and I was dumfounded by the sheer amount of time that went into it. I also did some research and learned some of what goes into to marketing and that as a business I would have to hire a market researcher to find my target market. Again I learned that an attention to detail is so important when sewing. I finally finished my wallet but after much trial and error I learned the value of measurements even if I just want to dive in and do it.
Despite this I really liked all the sewing stuff that I was doing but I am not sure I am wild about the business aspect. Starting a small business from scratch is a pit consuming both time and money. I think if I decided to market my products I would function the way Kathy does by selling the stuff I made on my free time in a local store but not be concerned with the financial aspect. It would be really easy to get caught up the business aspect that the sewing might lose its fun and creativity.
One of the things I was asked to do, well it was really rather a suggestion was to clean up the sewing room. I probably didn’t look like Jill and I cleaned up by Thursday because it had gotten so messy but we did. I think a mess is an inevitable by product of creativity but at some point that mess needs to be rectified and cleaned. The problem was anytime we started to work again a mess would ensue all over. A final clean up will be necessary. I think I benefited by this weeks activities because now I know starting a business isn’t really something I am interested in. Instead I would rather focus on the creative and fun aspect of the project. I think I will use all my sewing and design skills in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed checking out your blog. I am bummed that I missed your fashion show. I saw the posters up, but I didn't connect that to your senior project. I would love to see some to the pieces you made, so maybe I can stop by with Linden sometime to check them out....I am around.
    Good work and congrats!
    Molly (Morgan)

    ReplyDelete