Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekly Reflection 2

This week felt far more fast pace than the previous week. I finished 2 projects and am very close to finishing a third. Since my 1964 sewing machine only has one stitch I learned how and when to use the Zig Zag stitch on Jill’s sewing machine. I also learned more about design and by the end of the week I came up with my own design for a wallet. One of the most important things I learned this week is really making sure that I want to sew what I am about to sew to ensure I don’t sew something inside out. Checking and double-checking is very important.
Sometimes sewing can be tedious and when it’s a nice day its very tempting to just leave and be outside. Despite this I really enjoyed this week. There were some days that I just wanted to work for 8 hours but I had photo or needed to get lunch. Once I start a project and get moving on it I just want to keep going on it. It’s really fun to see the results of my labor.
One of the things I was asked to do was to hand sew seams in a bright colored thread then go over the thread with the sewing machine. Then take out the colorful thread. At first this seamed redundant but I realized how helpful it can be when my sewing needs to be precise. By stitching ahead of time by hand I have a seam to fallow with my machine ensuring that I sew all the places I need to. While it seemed slow and frustrating at first I realized that it ultimately saves time. Instead of having to re-sew things and it looking messy hand sewing before hand ensures that the machine stitches are right.
Next week I hope to work more on the business side. By having some already made products I plan to include photos of these products in the brochure I am going ot make. I am also going to work more on sewing and I except that I will be able to work even faster than I did last week. While working more on my own design I hope to become better and the creative side of the project. Next week I hope to have a good template for a business plan and have some new projects finished.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that technique is called basting - very useful when you want the 2 pieces to hold together when you're sewing! Looking forward to seeing the results of your labors.

    ReplyDelete